Saturday, September 11, 2010

Carabao!!!

I have seen several herds of these guys all over the island, but none staring at me in a thicket of jungle. Creepy.



This herd roams around near our offices. I always have to slow down. It's just all too surreal.

Big progress this week. I finally mapped out my plan for the internship and it seems a rotation in Hawaii, free AICP testing and AutoCAD MAP training will happen. And that's just the beginning. More to come on that one.


I now have a place of my own. I'll be leaving Santa Rita and my inflatable mattress for Mongmong. I move in September 19. Nympha the landlady invited me to a party the Saturday before to hand over the keys. I like Guam. It's damn hospitable. Mike bought a truck from a guy up at Anderson AFB and in turn, the guy invited him fishing! That don't happen back east.



The Mongmong place is a 2br and 1 1/2 bath. It's a pretty quaint little place but the balcony is what sealed the deal for me.

I'm picturing grilling and lounging with a drink after work. Maybe some dominoes. I like it.

It comes partially furnished with a couch. It's been far too long since I've had a couch. Honestly.

You get the idea. It's not perfect, but I think it will do for now. I just realized there was not a door on the full bathroom. I need to ask about that....

So I decided to take in a hike and celebrate by new residency status. I visited Mt. Lamlam. It kicked my tenderfoot ass!


Though I didn't make it to the summit due to the fact it was late and the trail is pretty difficult in the rain(try walking up and down a slope surfaced with slippery red clay). I managed to get some nice pictures however.

Let me drop some science. Mt. LamLam is the tallest mountain in the world if you measured from the bottom of the Marianas Trench to the summit. So if Earth had no water...I would have been standing on the top of the world..Kinda cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Lamlam

I will conquer  Mt. LamLam, perhaps in the dry season and earlier in the day. I have been thinking it might be good exercise to hit the southern mountains every other weekend or so and get a few hours of hiking in. It felt good for sure once I got over the initial shock that I indeed had been exercising.  The breeze up there was pretty nice.

The beach wasn't too bad afterward either. This was taken at Asan. I was standing next to a bombed out Japanese pillbox. Spooky. This beach was one of the Marine landing objectives for the liberation of Guam in 1944.

No comments:

Post a Comment